Platform Migration of L2/L3 Ethernet Switch
A long-term development partner required for sustaining the existing products including enhancements/customizations to free-up core R&D team.
- Migrate existing source base to new hardware platform of Enterprise Gigabit switch while maintaining compatibility with old platforms
- Required to support multiple models with the same firmware, including past and future models. So a reusable, extensible and flexible design was required
- Needed a long-term partner to offshore existing product enhancements /customizations to free-up core R&D team.
- Initial onsite phase to discuss requirements, develop detailed specifications and knowledge transfer
- Set up dedicated test lab with multiple workstations and required test equipment
- Developed firmware and integrated code with multiple switches
- Carried out regression testing with all supported switches
- Assist customer’s QA team in final product testing at customers’ premise
- New hardware had additional features to be supported. To use processor and storage capabilities efficiently, existing code was optimized for speed and memory first. New features were then implemented without affecting build compatibility for old models.
- Freed 50% of the core R&D engineers from sustenance activities of the product
- Reduced engineering cost significantly by offshoring major portion of the platform migration development activities